Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

One Artist Five Questions: Sr. Lucianne Siers

Engage with new and returning artists before visiting the Cathedral Square venue to see their amazing array of work. Learn about the artists’ personal stories and creative ambitions through five enticing art-related questions.



This week: Sr. Lucianne Siers


Sr. Lucianne Siers, Dancing In Life, 2014, alabaster stone 


Sr. Lucianne Siers, OP, has been a teacher, pastoral minister and most recently, serves in a leadership position. She has had the opportunity to study art with excellent sculptors who have mentored her work in stone over the years. She is a Dominican Sister and has the opportunity to share her work in stone in a variety of venues and activities.


What themes do you pursue?
I choose to pursue more contemplative figures in stone.  I desire that my pieces have a form that moves, but not too much.  I desire to make the stone smooth and able to be touched so that the viewer can experience the material that has been shaped for viewing.


What got you interested in art?
I have always loved art, but really never considered myself an artist until I was in my late 40s.  I had the opportunity to take classes that led me to carving stone.  I fell in love with making human forms in stone.  It is a very satisfying activity to find what is in the stone and carve it out so that others can see it and enjoy it.


What is your preferred medium and why?
My preferred medium is carving alabaster. This stone will eventually turn into marble within several thousand years.  Alabaster is a soft and sturdy stone and it is so beautiful.  There are many different colors of alabaster, but I prefer white alabaster with the black and grey veins that run through it.  It is a Michigan stone.  


What is the hardest step in creating work?
The hardest step for me in creating work is finding the time and space to do it.  I need to work outside and so the winter months are really difficult because it is too cold to work outside.  My desire is to find a good space and the time to work regularly on some project during the cold Michigan winter!


What is integral to the work of an art
What is integral to me is to have the contemplative space to think deeply about what is going on in me and around me.  I need time to get deeply into the a place where my mind is clear of worry or confusion.  In other words, I need to be focused and uncluttered before I attempt to carve.  Getting deep into the stone and engaging only with what is before me is a way that I am able to bring forth what is hidden in the stone, and unconsciously bringing forth something hidden inside of me.

Learn more about Sr. Lucianne Siers as an artist: http://www.artprize.org/lucianne-siers

No comments:

Post a Comment