Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

One Artist, Five Questions: Brigid Avery

Engage with new and returning artists before visiting ArtPrize at Cathedral Square to see their amazing array of work. Learn about the artists’ personal stories and creative ambitions through five enticing art-related questions.




This week: Brigid Avery 

Brigid is a new Cathedral Square artist who traveled to Tully Cross, Ireland last year as part of a study-abroad reunion, where she revisited memories of nature and family. While touring the coastline, Brigid experienced a balance of beauty and order with a regular complementation of chaos and havoc. The composition of her 2014 ArtPrize entry intends to draw viewers to recognize Ireland’s Glassilaun Beach and the sea for their natural rhythmic patterns.



Brigid Avery, Glassilaun Beach, Tully Cross, Ireland, 2013, photography


What got you interested in art?
I had always been interested in art; my mom and dad are super creative. I didn't take a serious art class until my registration day at Aquinas. My assigned advisor was Kurt Kaiser (of the Art Department) and he asked if I would like to take an art class. I shrugged and said, "Sure". He said "Great, you can sign up for my 2-D class". I liked it so much I signed up for the next one…and the next one…and before I knew it, I was a Studio Art minor. They were absolutely some of my favorite classes and professors. So I guess I became an artist serendipitously.

What is your favorite or most inspirational place?
Honestly, I was so incredibly struck by the beauty and haunting rhythms of Glassilaun Beach that I can say it is one my most inspirational and favorite places. Ireland in general grabbed my soul and hasn't let go.

Do you have a favorite artist? What attracts you to that artist's work?
I adore Mucha because of the color palette and art deco design. My husband and I went to Prague for our honeymoon and we visited the museum there. I was in a trance, getting caught up in the movement and dreamy gazes of the women.

What is your dream project? (See question on favorite artist) I would love to design and create a series of photographs inspired by Mucha.

What is the hardest step in creating work?
Now that I am not in school anymore, the hardest part of the project is just doing it without having an assignment. It is not my full time job, so finding the time to create is difficult. My entry in Artprize is actually an assignment. I had a No Credit in my last photography class at Aquinas. It has weighed on me ever since (13 years later!) So in order to "force" me into actually entering, I am using this as my missing assignment to get my credit!


Learn more about Brigid and her 2014 ArtPrize entry: http://www.artprize.org/brigid-avery

No comments:

Post a Comment